In 2017, I decided it was time to change gears, and move Lil’ Red Kap in the direction of a graphic novel, complete the story, get an actual fan-base (hah) and try to raise some sort of Kickstarter for the actual animation production. One of the key learnings of this experience has been the insane amount of animation production needed to get a project from animatic to final film (I knew it was a large number of hours, but not until I went solo, did I realize the actual cost of those hours).
Last year I took steps to reworking this into graphic novel form and started several spreads. This year I’ll continue. Follow me on Instagram for updates.
Progress is being made on the film - slow progress. In the meantime, enjoy the poster for 2015. Hopefully the artwork is complete in order to sell prints at Kumoricon...read more
Originally I'd hoped to reuse a lot of the earlier shots that I'd done for the Lil' Red Kap film. Now that I'm getting into the project again and learning that my Blender skills are greatly improved from where they were back in 2011 when I first started this project,...read more
Production is entering that period where you always feel lost. It's hard to remain focused because there are a dozen elements of the project that you should be focusing on. And I didn't anticipate the number of models that would need to be created. I knew it was a...read more
Until last November, this project had been sitting on the back burner - something I always intended to wrap up, but never the time or motivation. Then, I had the chance to cast voices for the spot, and two months later, I'm looking at a fully storyboarded film, with...read more
Here's a few minutes from my last two months of animation effort. My work-flow has started to formalized with the primary work being done in ToonBoom Animate with a completely digital approach, and select sequences put together in Blender 3D and Photoshop. I'm also...read more
Here's an updated movie poster for the film, Lil' Red Kap (formerly Little Red Kap). This is much closer to the storyline, since so much has been rewritten since I started this project last year....read more
I just finished the first 00:03:17:00 of animation for the film, making this part of the process about 15% complete, and putting me on track to being finished by July 2012. I feel pretty good, considering that in 2011 I spent most of the year messing around with the...read more
Now that the storyboard is complete, the focus can turn to actually creating final frames. The goal is to push through the entire film at a specific level and then return perfect any areas that seem out of place. The above intro actually cam in under my estimated time...read more
This weekend I was able to finish up the storyboard. It was a mad push of index cards and lead, but all 608 sketches (which only I can understand) have been strung together to make up a 20 minute film. Now that this part is done, it's onto creating the production...read more
After finishing the Marakov model, I had the 3D element I needed to then animate this short 6 second segment. This segment was a chance to test the full production pipeline, and to ensure I had the tools (software, skills, etc) to pull it off. The video above is the...read more